The Future of Marketing: 5 Stats that Show the Way
A report out from The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), sponsored by Marketo, brings to light five interesting insights into the future of marketing. They interviewed 499 CMOs and senior marketing executives worldwide to explore which technologies and customer trends are likely to change marketing organizations the most over the next five years.
Here are the bullets:
- Eighty-six percent of CMOs and senior marketing executives believe they will own the end-to-end customer experience by 2020.
- Marketing complexity is growing sharply as customer experience overtakes mass advertising as a preferred channel to the customer.
- Top marketing channels are those that lend themselves to personalizing the customer experience.
- CMOs are betting that a personalized, efficient and consistent customer experience will translate into customer loyalty and brand value.
- Future innovation will focus on small screens and no screens.
I believe that the short-term, actionable information in this report is in points 1 and 2. By selecting the right Marketing Automation Platform today, marketers from companies both large and small can start taking responsibility for the entire customer experience from acquisition to close. In the report, they use the word “ownership”, but I don’t really think Marketing will own the entire process, but that Marketing will have access to, and be the single repository for, all of the data associated with the end-to-end customer experience.
The right Marketing Automation Package will also help manage the growing complexity of the marketing process. It should be able to natively deal with most of the channels that you are currently using and be extensible enough to capture the data from any channel (even those not yet defined) that you use today or may use in the future.